Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Save Yourself Some Time with Quick Keys!



As I was reading the module for my Educational Technology class, I came across a section about using quick keys. Quick keys are keyboard shortcuts that can save you time when using your PC or Mac. I have never really given much thought to learning some quick keys. The only ones I am aware of are Command+C to copy selected text to the clipboard and Command+V to paste. Keep in mind that these shortcuts I am listing are for a Mac, since that is what I use personally.

I decided to research some quick keys that I could use in my daily routine on my Macbook. Here are a few that I think I would use the most:

Command+M: Minimize window
Command+W: Close window
Command+X: Cut
Command+Delete: Move to trash
Command+I: Italicize the selected text
Command+B: Boldface the selected text
Command+P: Display the Print dialog
Command+S: Save the active document
Command+N: New blank document (if Word is active) or new window (if Safari is active)
Command+T: New Tab (when using Safari)

Some of these can save a lot of time and definitely be useful to anyone with a Mac. To find shortcuts for Windows, you can go to this website: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449. There are several keyboard shortcuts on there for Windows. I am definitely going to use this knowledge to help save myself some time. You can do the same!

4 comments:

  1. It is so funny that you posted this because the other day I was noticing students doing this and I wondered why they didn't just use the mouse to do it and then I realized they were using the quick key method. I am old school, even when I know how to do this I find myself reverting back to the way I have always done it. The funny thing is that I am not that kind of teacher. I generally switch things up alot in my classes and am always trying new stuff. However, I think I am a creature of habit when it comes to motor ability, I can't help but do it with the mouse and menu. I guess I need like a quick key boot camp where I force myself to do it. I will definitely go to the MS website to get the quick keys and give them a try so I can be less far behind my students in tech know how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you, that I have a mac, too, but was cheap and bought a Microsoft keyboard. I looked down to test some of the commands, and wait, no command key! So I looked it up and found that I can use the windows key the same way. I am a creature of habit, too, and think that I will continue to use the mouse, but if my mouse battery ever dies, I will know what to do! It did make me curious as to whether the Microsoft function keys would work, and they would with some driver work. Wow! I usually do my research when it comes to buying things, but I had no idea how different the keyboards would be! Thanks for the post. It really made me think twice about keyboards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany,
    Thanks for the link! I was able to read through it and find a couple of shortcuts that I would use. (i.e. CTRL + Z for undo, F2 to rename an object) On my laptop, I found that I was frequently "accidently" zooming in or zooming out. It was very annoying as I didn't realize how I was doing it or how to fix it! My fiance taught me that I can change that with CTRL + to zoom in or CTRL - to zoom out! I think I was doing something with the touchpad.
    Shortcuts do save time and are just convenient. I don't ever really work with Mac computers so I'm not sure how different the shortcuts are in comparison.
    Thanks for the tips. Do you see any of your Kindergartners using shortcuts?
    ~Bren H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you were able to find a couple shortcuts you can use! I do not really see any of my Kindergartners using shortcuts. However, I am curious to see if they could grasp the concept if I taught them a few. I definitely want to try it!

      Delete