Friday, February 10, 2012

Cell phones... learning tool or just a distraction?


Should cell phones be used as a learning tool in the classroom or are they only a distraction?

When trying to answer this question, I feel as though I am split down the middle. I can see both the pros and cons of allowing students to have cell phones in class. I want to look at both the pros and cons.

First, let’s think about why teachers may not want to use cell phones in the classroom. Some obvious reasons are that they are disruptive and noisy. If a phone goes off in your class with some up-beat ringtone, everyone is going to be distracted from their work. Another reason that phones can be a distraction is because most kids have games and other applications loaded onto their phone that they are going to be tempted to play when they think their teacher is not looking. Something that kids and young adults are really into nowadays is texting. It would be really easy for a student to pull out their phone, put their hands in their desk, and start texting while you are teaching. I am big on texting myself and I know how easy it is to send text messages. I don’t even have to look at my phone while I text because I have the keys memorized. I can imagine that students would use this to their advantage as well. Students have also used cell phones to cheat on tests. Whether they are texting a friend the answers or taking a picture of the test and sending it to a friend, there are many ways cell phones can be used to cheat.

Now let’s look at the opposite side of the issue and think about how cell phones could be incorporated into the curriculum. I looked at a Scholastic article called, Lift the Cell Phone Ban, (http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3751073) and found this quote by Dolman, “It’s a stereotype of teenagers—that you can’t trust them with a cell phone. Our experience was that if you give them the opportunity to use them, and you give them guidelines to go with that use, you won’t have problems.” I can see how this would work. If you give specific guidelines in order to use the cell phones, students will either follow them or will no longer be allowed to use them. The majority of students in middle school and above have cell phones; many of them even have a Smartphone. It would not be hard to get enough students to bring in their phones for certain activities. A few ways to use cell phones in the classroom are: polling, taking pictures with digital cameras, text messaging for assignments or quizzes, Internet access, calculators, or even using the calendar to set reminders for due dates.

There are many benefits of using cell phones in a classroom, especially since this is a digital age. However, there are also some potential problems with allowing cell phone usage. I definitely think it would be something I would try if I taught middle or high school. My Kindergarteners might be a little confused and quite frankly, I would be shocked if many of them had cell phones. Overall, I think using cell phones in an educational setting is something that is worth a try. 

6 comments:

  1. This is a very tough issue. I think the hardest issue is educating students culturally about acceptable use and digital citizenship. Cell phones are about instant access for users. Initially they have been for telephone access, then texting, then Web access, and now apps by the ba-zillions. The apps (i.e., cameras, videos, educational tools) can be great. The problem is when the apps are an excuse to be instantly accessible. I sat in a seminar the other day and half the teachers were texting while the speaker was covering the material. If teachers can't let go of cell phones long enough to stop and listen to someone instructing them, then how can we expect our students to learn to do it? It's tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think using cell phones in class could be a good opportunity to teach a lesson in an engaging way and also teach cell phone etiquette and responsibility. If there is a clearly defined and beneficial opportunity for students, I would favor using cells phones. I currently teach online, but if I were to go back to the traditional classroom, I would make sure the following items were in place before using cell phones in class.
    1. Identify specific use for phone
    2. Identify consequences if correct procedures are not followed.
    3. Inform parents and gather permission

    I feel if proper guidelines are laid out, students may appreciate the learning opportunity and not take advance of the situation. If proper guidelines are not set, a variety of issues of improper use could arise.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany,

    You are absolutely right. This is a very real and controversial issue that schools face today. As mentioned in the reading, cell phones serve a great purpose when it comes to emergencies, and it's hard to take that away from people. For most, the cell phone can double as a life line.

    I have to say one of my favorite things about your post was the quote in the "pros"s section, from the scholastic article. Dolman hit's the nail right on the head with that statement. To assume that students will use their cellphones in a negative manner is to assign the stereotype that we can't trust them. But we all know that one of the biggest parts of balancing teacher/student relationships in the classroom is trust.

    I've noticed that yourself and Kim who commented brought up the importance of guidelines and it's true. Of course student's will be more likely to use the cellphones "for evil" if there is no structured guideline in place. But to take a step farther than that, rather than just telling the students what to do, I think it's important to involve them in the process of laying out the guidelines. By having them tell you what would be improper is a way for you to gauge what they would most likely use it for but also allows for the students to fell apart of the process, rather than just bystanders.

    Age also has an impact on the use of cellphones, and the matter of making sure everyone has access to one, or else students will be singled out.

    You did a great job of laying out the two sides,
    Lovely post.
    -Amy R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tiffany!

    I think that the pros outweigh the cons with this issue. If you are an organized teacher you can make it work! All you have to do is establish the rules and make sure there are consequences for not following them. I think it would probably work best by just using them for certain activities and then putting them away in a secure place where you know students wouldn't be able to reach them when they are done using them. My kids are in middle and high school and there are some teachers that make them put their cellphones in a container while they are in class to avoid any temptations. I think using smartphones would be such an awesome tool in the classroom, like you said in your post. Some of the ideas you mentioned would be fabulous! Students would probably be very engaged and excited about learning! If some students don't have one they could work in pairs or small groups. Like you said, age might be an issue but I think using cellphones or smartphones would probably be best for students in 5th grade or higher. This is when most kids start getting their phones. I like how you balanced out both views, because I am being totally biased here! :o)

    Thanks for an insightful post!

    Larisa Kivett

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are correct on both ends,you have the trust worthy students that will use the phones in the right way and benefit from having them in class, then you have the students that will misbehave by cheating, playing games or just talking through text.

    What about the students that can't afford a phone? how do you address that? What if you had the idea group but most were not able to purchase a phone how would that be handled? Just something to think about. I would love to be able to use phones, tablets, ipads, and other devices, but what about the poor? I think your post was well put together and equally weighted with the pros and cons, great job!

    ReplyDelete