Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Digital Stories for Kindergarten

Digital Storytelling is a great way for students to share stories. There are many benefits to digital storytelling, which I shared in the video on my last post. This week I decided to think about how I could incorporate digital storytelling into my Kindergarten curriculum. I want to integrate it with what we are learning about in the next couple weeks. This week we are on Spring Break, so I am going to integrate it next week.

In Kindergarten we really push writing. Currently our students should be able to write a three sentence story focused on one topic. So I am going to start my digital storytelling project by having my class all write three sentences about a specific topic. Then, I am going to bring in my laptop, since it has a built-in microphone. I found a great digital storytelling program that is geared towards younger students. It is called Little Bird Tales, found at http://littlebirdtales.com. As I was babysitting today, I had two girls (a 7 yr old and 11 yr old) help me create an example for my class. See below.

I have not decided what the topic is going to be yet. When I return on Monday, I am going to find out from the teacher I work with what topics we are covering in Science and Social Studies and choose a topic that will integrate that curriculum. Using the program I have talked about, I will have each student record their voice telling me their three sentences and then they will each draw a picture to go with their story. I will put all these together to make one class story. I think my students will love this. They are going to have fun with it. I will be sure to post the final product.

3 comments:

  1. Tiffany,

    I loved the example that you included. I think that you've chose the perfect opportunity to integrate technology as I can imagine 5 and 6 year olds really loving this idea! In fact, I know my 4th graders would be into it as well. =)

    This technology would apply to content very well as it would get the kids engaged and ready to learn something new. I like how not only are you planning to integrate technology, but you will also be integrating writing into the curriculum you must teach.

    Anyhow, great idea and I hope it works out as well as it sounds.
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany,
    I love the way you are trying to integrate what we are learning now in your classroom.I think it would pretty neat to see what the kids come up with! You make a good point, having fun and experimenting while learning is something that should always be done especially with the younger kids, I can already imagine how excited they'll be when you tell them what they'll be doing! Good luck!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using digital storytelling with the small children because at their age they're so energetic and ready to learn. I feel like them writing something and seeing it come to life through digital storytelling would do something far greater than a sticker on their paper indicating a good job. They are gaining exposure to technology and developing their writing skills, wonderful strategies!

    ReplyDelete